Monday, January 3, 2011

The Greatest Gift

In a pool of blood

I rose up from the floor

I grabbed your picture

And realized I wanted more

To make you proud

Has been my greatest wish

And you’ll never know

It’s in your shadow I truly miss.

To be your friend was

The greatest gift of all

You’d always catch me

When I’d stumble and fall.


From the cradle we grew

To be the closest friends

And when I moved from you

I felt my heart’d never mend

Without you there I sat, alone

For you alone I often cried

My tears built a river

Where my soul had first died

My innocence stripped

And purity washed away

Without you there to hold

My heart began to stray.


No longer happy

A flower once, now wilted

And for my sins

My soul blackened, hilted

But once again you came

To walk along side me

And your warmth molded

Who I would come to be

And your conviction

Helped my weary heart mend

And you will forever

Be my truest and dearest friend.


©Pamela N. Brown

No comments: