Tuesday, December 7, 2010

There Was a Rainbow


There was A rainbow today
But I didn’t see it gleam
I didn’t notice reds, greens,
Nor yellows, oranges, and blues
I didn’t gaze at the purplish hues
Nor gold outlining the clouds
Nor did I look at the sun struggling
To break through the grey sky
I didn’t see shimmering beams of light
Reaching to touch the ground
Nor did I feel wind’s breath on my arm
I failed to notice the breezy warmth
Flowing through my long tresses
Nor did I feel it dry my tears.

There was MY rainbow today
But I missed the wondrous sight
Choked out by broken promises
All I saw was the blackened haze
I could only feel the cold hard rain
I no longer saw beauty lying within
My vision obscured by sorrow
My heart slain by venomous utterances
I only beheld crimson streaks on skin
And the scarlet veins framing irises
I only felt coldness without a care
I caught glimpses of disdain, lavender lips,
Arms, legs, hands, and fingertips
I could only watch the fierce figure fall
And I only noticed the blackened soul.

There was THE rainbow today
And I didn’t see it gleam
For a portion of my soul perished
It spilled with the feminine ichor
And in a pool it over ran
I gaped upon the garish scene
Streams flowed between each stone
Absorbed by red clay, soil, and sand
I missed the colors dance through the sky
I missed the sororal comfort and embrace
From frigid spirit, bone, and flesh
Though I coddled her in my arms
I missed THAT rainbow today
For I watched as your vibrant colors faded away.

©Pamela N. Brown
October 18, 2010

No comments: